Saturday 8 February 2014

Spring Breakers


The Most Misleading Film of 2012


Director: Harmony Korine
Release Date: 2012
Rating: 18
Running Time: 110 mins
Genre: Drama
Actors: James Franco, Vanessa Hugens, Selena Gomez

I've got to admit, this film was nothing what I was expecting. In all fairness I wasn't expecting much, most likely a sort of 'Piranha', without the Piranhas, type of film where we see alcohol and drugs get the better of wild young adults in a comedic way, probably similar to the despicably awful 'American Pie Presents' films. Yet what I ended up watching was more along the lines of Piranha meets 'Drive' due to the way it tried to be so 'arty' and dark. I don't know if I was pleased by this fact, due to the way that it was advertised so differently I really wasn't in the mood for a crime thriller when I came to watching it and would've rather have seen something slightly more light-hearted.

James Franco was good, Selena Gomez was good, Vanessa Hudgens was good, the other two were good, but there was something about it that wasn't good. I think it was probably because it pretended to be something it's not and then tried to act like it was something really dramatic and spectacular but really it was just a bit boring. The use of flashbacks and flash forwards, it was hard to know what was actually going on. They acted like Spring Break was some amazing experience, almost a religious pilgrimage people go on to find themselves and become better poeple, when really we all know it's an excuse to get heavily inebriated and have to come back home and get a tetanus shot. 

I suppose to sum up I just don't know which catagory this film fitted into. It was interesting, but I don't know if I would call it good per say. I think the best way to sum up 'Spring Breakers' is 'experimental' and a way for all those Disney Channel kids to prove they are no longer kids and we should all now start looking at them as serious actors. But I don't know if I'd recommend it because it's just too fake.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment